I am packing again! This time I am going on a “Senior Trip”! But, this is definitely NOT a trip planned for the 55-and-older group. It is a trip designed for seniors in high school. Why me…when I am almost 60 years older than the designated group?
I love Athens Bible School. I am a former teacher. My husband is a former ABS board member. All three of our children, and (so far) two of our grandchildren have graduated from ABS. The other eight grandchildren are currently students there, one of which is a senior.
Every year the ABS senior class takes a 10-day “senior trip”. The trip is planned with the students in mind, and the seniors work on fund-raisers to help pay for their trip expenses. They take two tour buses, and parents who want to go on the trip fill the second bus. After the parents sign up, then the trip is open to grandparents or others who want to make the trip along with the seniors. As for the expense of the trip, it is a true bargain, and all of the details are taken care of for us. But, we must be prepared to keep up with a group of 17-18-year olds, because that is the group the trip is designed for. Olen and I went with two of our children on their senior trips in 1985 and 1991.
When our grandchildren began to reach “senior trip age” it was obvious that we could not go on the trip with each of them. Besides that, we are needed at home to take care of the younger brothers and sisters so the parents can go on the trip with their seniors. So, this was the year (Emily is a senior) that it seemed most convenient for us to go. Early in the planning stage, Olen did not have much enthusiasm for a 13-hour bus ride, so he opted out, and I planned to go with my friend, Lucy. Lucy was excited about the idea until she tested gravity and lost, breaking her right arm. But, I am still planning to go, and they have assigned me a new roommate, Melinda, who was a classmate of Barbara Jo’s at ABS, and I taught her husband when he was in kindergarten. I asked Melinda if she was ok rooming with me, and she was very nice about it. Of course, I am old enough to be her mother. She is a good sport.
Today I went to ABS to enjoy their annual Veteran’s Day program. While I was there I stopped by the office to check on our fearless leader for the trip, and take a photo as Jessica puts the final touches on the trip plans.
In the hallway I noticed a bulletin board featuring the trip and a “countdown” until departure day. (Today is #5!) The bus is full of smiling faces of seniors, and the road ahead marks the major stops along the way. After our Sunday morning departure, juniors and other underclassmen plan to move the bus along the route to show where the seniors are each day. Let the fun begin!
So, another adventure is about to begin. We are to board the bus at 5:15 AM on Sunday November 15 and return early in the morning of the 25th. Major stops will be at Mount Vernon, Washington DC, New Haven CT, Newport RI, Boston MA, New York City, Gettysburg PA, and of course a stop in Hershey, PA so the kids can load up on chocolate and sugar before the 13-hour overnight bus ride home. That sounds like a plan to me!
Seriously, I am very excited about going on the trip with this group. Some of the parents on the tour I know, many I do not know. However, I will get acquainted with them while we are gone, and making new friends is always exciting. I will be thrilled to see my oldest granddaughter enjoy the adventures that are ahead of her. Although I have been to many of these sights in the past, it has not been in recent history. I was in Washington in 1996 (19 years ago) when Olen and I took his parents to see the nation’s capitol for their first time. I was in New York City in 1991 (24 years ago) when I was on Barbara Jo’s senior trip. I expect I will see major changes.
So, I am off again soon. Feel free to travel along with us through this blog. I hope to post lots of photos during the trip so you can keep up with your senior or friend who is on the trip. Pray for a safe and enjoyable trip for everyone, and please have Thanksgiving dinner ready for those of us who arrive home the day before the holiday and won’t have time to cook!




No comments:
Post a Comment