Thursday, October 15, 2015

Then sings my soul...

What an uplifting day!  By 10 AM we had already experienced a lifetime of uplifting experiences.  Most of us got up before daylight to view the sunrise over the Sea of Galilee and we were not disappointed.  This is an experience that should not be missed when in the area.






LJ, Paul (C), and Joyce (H) enjoyed the view after sunrise.


Garry (W) and Carol were the first ones up to see the sunrise.

At breakfast Adam (KB) and Dan worked up a distant family relationship...which would eventually draw a line from me to Adam's mother, Sandi, if you really make a stretch.

Following breakfast we took our boat ride on the Sea of Galilee.  After looking at the boat we were to ride on, Carol decided it was half-a-Dramamine-size vessel and dosed herself appropriately.  Once we were on board, the crew hoisted the Stars and Stripes beside the flag of Israel while playing the Star Spangled Banner, which is always a moving experience.  The weather was spectacular for a trip on the Sea of Galilee.  It just doesn't get any better than this!


We took so many pictures that later in the day I had to ration my picture-taking due to an overworked camera battery.  


Joyce (H) and Garry (H)


Jeremy and Anna


Marsha and Joyce (R)


Dave and Marsha


Andrew

We took a group picture of the preachers on the tour (the brain trust), and a picture of all the ladies.  Ladies are vastly outnumbered on this trip!



When the salesmen brought out the tee-shirts with "I've sailed on the Sea of Galilee" written on the front, I broke my "no souvenirs" rule and purchased one.  The last time I was on a tour like this my friend Mckenna bought one, and I questioned her purchase because I knew she had stacks of tee shirts at home.  Then she said, "but when I wear this one people may ask me about the Bible."  At that point I vowed to buy myself one if I ever had the opportunity.  Today was the time.

Barry pointed out all of the Biblical sites as we passed them, and reminded us of the Bible stories connected to each.  One crew member demonstrated casting a net, but alas, he caught no fish.  Then he cast it a second time from the other side of the boat...and guess what?  No fish on that side, either.


We visited the 2000-year old boat and drove to the Mount of Beatitudes, the traditional site for the Sermon on the Mount.


Our next stop was at the Church of the Primacy, which for our group was a chance to wade in the Sea of Galilee and pick up rocks.  Dan and I took a selfie as our family portrait there, while Norm waded in the deeper water.



We ate "Saint Peter's Fish" for lunch in Magdala.


Fully recharged with the fish dinner, the group climbed to the top of mount Arbel, which was a real accomplishment in the afternoon heat...but everyone on the tour participated in order to take in the fantastic view from the top.


But we were thankful for the shade tree at the top also.


Our last stop of the day was at the archaeological site at Magdala (Migdal).


We have tired bones and tired bodies tonight, but our hearts have been fully refreshed.  We took forward to the adventures and soul-stirring activities scheduled for tomorrow.  May you be refreshed in spirit by your activities today.






4 comments:

  1. Looks like I am first again today. I'm enjoying your posts, Jane. I love seeing the smile on my husband's face. (Paul C.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Just :) Love it. Reliving my tour through your words and pictures. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent documentary. Beautiful sites and special opportunity for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent documentary. Beautiful sites and special opportunity for all of you.

    ReplyDelete