Thursday, April 10, 2008

Day 11---At the Dead Sea Tonight

This was “Petra Day”, an exciting morning of exploring the ancient capital of Edom, the memorable site of tombs and temples carved out of the beautiful stone mountains in the area. The half-day tour of Petra included a horseback ride into the area followed by an exciting walk in the valley among the beautiful colored rock formations. Unfortunately, I had to miss the morning experience due to some bad food choices I made the previous day that caused my stomach rebel during the night. I had medicine with me, but elected to stay in bed and re-gain my strength for the other events ahead of us. I hated to miss being with the group at Petra, but decided that a morning’s rest might keep me from missing other exciting things. By noon I was back with the group, after a scary taxi ride across town. (I think the driver had learned to drive by watching US automobile races, like Talladega.)

Everyone had a wonderful time at Petra. Barbara Jo and Olen rode donkeys to the “high place”. Norm and Tim did the manly thing and walked up, and they said the view was worth the climb. I was sorry to have missed the morning activities.

We drove north toward Kerak, which included a photo stop. A second photo stop was required when a large flock of sheep and a shepherd were right beside the road. It was dark by the time we arrived at our hotel by the Dead Sea. Dinner was served outside on the patio, just lovely!

After dinner we walked down to the edge of the Dead Sea, but determined that it would all look better by daylight. We plan to go again in the morning, and may actually get into the water. Stay tuned…

We noticed that Ferrell has posted the group photo on his blog. Norm and Barbara Jo are kneeling in front of the group holding the sign. Someone commented on the photo that it looked like it should have the caption “Touring group of senior citizens kidnap two young people to hold their sign”. Another comment was that probably Norm and Barbara Jo were the only two on the tour that could get up off the ground after kneeling for the pose!

We are really enjoying the group we are traveling with. Everyone is so easy to get along with, and considerate of each other. And (most important) they all have a sense of humor that won’t quit. We have toured and learned and shared information…and LAUGHED. We have laughed at some of the things we have seen, some of the things we have done, and laughed at so very many of the one-liners that filled the air. Some of these people should consider doing stand-up comedy! What a great trip we are enjoying, but unfortunately we are beginning to see the end looming not far ahead of us. All good things must come to an end, I suppose. But in the meantime I plan to enjoy every minute that is left!

Yesterday's photos are posted...none for today yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment