Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Jane of White Barn meets Anne of Green Gables








The last day of a vacation always seems to be one of the best, and today was no exception. It is going to be very difficult to leave this beautiful island in the morning, but all good things must come to an end, I suppose.

This morning we headed to the north shore of the island and were thankful that the rain that had been predicted for today did not materialize. We were under cloudy skies until mid-afternoon, but no rain. We drove through an especially picturesque area around the village of Hunter River, and one photo of that area is included in my photos of the day. Our first stop was at the Anne of Green Gables National Park. If you are not familiar with Anne, this will have very little meaning to you, but to those of us who are “kindred spirits”, you will understand the significance of this visit.

While we were touring the house that inspired the novels, two young men approached us. They were from South Korea and were equipped with large video cameras. They explained that they were making a documentary and wanted to interview us about Anne of Green Gables. I had plenty to say since Anne is one of my favorite characters. However, I was especially proud of Olen as he was able to answer their questions with factual knowledge of Anne and the historic background of the books. So, if you ever go to South Korea and happen to view a documentary about Anne of Green Gables, look for us!

We toured and photographed the entire property, even walked down Anne’s “Lovers’ Lane” (photo of us by the bridge), and through her “Haunted Wood”. We went to the Lucy Maud Montgomery Cavendish home, where she was living when she wrote “Anne“. At the visitor center there was a lady, Jennie Macneill, who is married to the grandson of the grandparents of Lucy Maud Montgomery. Lucy Montgomery was raised by her grandparents, and Mrs. Macneill talked to us at length about the history, the area, and how she and her husband lovingly keep the area as it can be seen today. (She is the lady shown in the photo.)

From “Anne’s land” we drove only a few minutes to “Olen’s land”…the Glascow Hills Gold Club. This is the most gorgeous golf course I have ever seen, admitting that my exposure to golf courses is less than generous. It is located on the top of a hill overlooking a beautiful valley with farms and white-steepled church buildings. We had lunch at the clubhouse overlooking the course, and after lunch Olen rented clubs to play a round. Even with a golf cart, it took almost five hours to play the course with all the hills involved. My self-portrait shows how I contributed to the afternoon’s events, but I thoroughly enjoyed being the driver and taking in the scenery.

Such a great day! Tomorrow it is back to reality. I must admit I am a bit reluctant to check the suitcase I have only had in my possession since Sunday night, but I suppose it won’t qualify as carry-on size. We have three legs to our all-day flight home. I wonder what the odds are that I will ever see my suitcase again?

So, another “journey” comes to an end. Thanks to those of you who have made this journey with me through the blog. It won’t be long until my next “journey”. I’m scheduled to leave for Switzerland, Austria and Italy on September 10. If you want to check back about that time, I’ll try to take you on another blog-journey. I predict that the journey in September will be a bit more predictable than this one…and I might even have a suitcase the whole time. Who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment